11: More resources
If you are looking for something that is not covered in this Manual, these MEPIS resources are available for more help.
The MEPIS Wiki contains a great deal of other material. As an ongoing product of volunteer users, it can be more up-to-date and detailed than the Manual. Here's how to find what you're looking for:
- Follow the structure by drilling down in the four areas laid out on the Main Page:
- Getting Started: intended to provide new MEPIS users with the basic tools to get their system up and running.
- General Knowledge Database: intended to provide users with more advanced tools to understand and use their MEPIS system.
- Help and Guides: self-explanatory title, there is great stuff here for MEPIS users.
- Wiki Issues: topics pertaining to the Wiki itself.
- Consult Special Pages:
- Click on the Wiki Categories link in the left panel, and select your topic of interest. This is a very useful but often overlooked way to find answers to your questions.
- If you are looking for something added recently, click on the Recent Changes link.
- Click on the link Special pages for other possible aids.
MEPIS Linux 7.0 users have a number of forums at their disposal:
- MepisCommunity Forum: A friendly community forum for every level of knowledge, from newbie to expert.
- MEPIS forums in other languages: MEPISIMO Spanish forum, MEPIS France, and MEPISItalia
- LinuxQuestions: A venerable Linux forum that has a section dedicated to MEPIS.
See the Links and Guide section at the bottom of the page for all the above.
To get the answer you are seeking on any of these forums, please try to follow these procedures:
- Do some research on your own, reading the Wiki and using the search engines.
- Use meaningful, specific subject headers so people know what you are talking about. “PLEASE HELP ME” is not going to
get you much attention, whereas “MEPIS 7 problems with HP scanner” is much more likely to attract people who can help.
- Describe carefully your hardware (see Section 5.1) and the sequence of actions that led to the problem(s).
- Remain courteous: these forums are staffed by volunteers who give of their time, knowledge, and expertise for the sole reason of
wanting to help--the simple words "thank you" can do wonders.
A number of search engines can be used for more help:
- Wiki search engines:
- Basic search: type what you are looking for into the search box in the left panel and hit return.
- Detailed search: click on the Custom search lin in the left panel. This will take you to page powered by a custom Google search
that will search the entire Wiki for whatever you enter.
- Mepis.org search engine -- good tool that gives you access to all the discussions and announcements published on the
main MEPIS site. Be careful that the information you find applies to your version of MEPIS.
- MEPIS Community Forum search engine -- another good tool on this community site.
- Google or another universal search engine -- you need to be careful about suitability of results, but these can be
particularly useful for tracking down drivers, error messages, hardware specs, etc.
NOTE: much of the Linux documentation on random websites is out-of-date or unsuitable for MEPIS Linux 7.0, and could actually do more
harm than good to your system! Ask at forum.mepiscommunity.org FIRST, if you are not certain whether or not an internet tip is applicable to
Links and Guides